Bat Houses Lahaina HI
West Isle Landscape Maintenance
180 Wahikuli Rd
Friendly Island Landscape Llc
105 Ala Hoku Pl
1037 Wainee St
Garden Gate Bed & Breakfast/Inn
67 Kaniau Rd
Dan'S Green House
193 Lahainaluna Rd
181 Hui Rd F Apt 30
Hale Mahaolu Eono
810 Kelawea St
Front Street Apartments
2001 Kenui Pl
Beach Villas Owners
3615 Lower Honoapiilani Rd
Tropical Innovations Landscape & Water Features
PO Box 2112
Bat House | Build a bat house for your backyard
Build a bat house for your backyard
While many people consider bats pesky, dangerous and even frightening, the truth is that they do a great service for people seeking to protect gardens and crops. Flying insects that are active at night – moths, mosquitoes, beetles, etc. – can wreak havoc on crops, gorging on them after the sun goes down. Bats are these insects' primary predator, and one bat eats hundreds of these flying nuisances per hour. Just imagine what an entire colony of bats could do to protect your crops and gardens!
Enter the concept of the bat house, an effective weapon in insect protection .
Practical Considerations for Bat House Designs
You won't be able to attract bats to roost in your bat house unless you understand how they think and behave. These tips can help guide the design and placement of your bat house so that you can slant the odds in your favor:
- Bats prefer warm environments; bat houses will retain their heat at night if they're exposed to at least 10 hours of direct sunlight during the day.
- Don't include trees in your bat house building plans. Tree-mounted houses are hard for bats to find, and make it easy for predators to attack them if they do find it.
- Make sure there's a source of fresh water within a quarter-mile of the bat house.
- Keep the entrance to the house free of obstacles, such as tree branches. Bats like to swoop in unobstructed space.
- Your bat house plans should not include lights; in fact, if you place the bat house near a source of light, it's virtually assured that it will remain empty.
- Use untreated wood; it contains no harmful chemicals.
- Keep the surfaces inside the house rough; this allows the bats to grip its floor or walls more easily.
How to Build a Bat House
Keeping those tips in mind, search the Internet for free bat house plans or visit your local building center to purchase bat house kits. Building a house from scratch using plans is a good idea if you have some carpentry experi...
Click here to read more from Luma Gardening